"Residence is guaranteed for all new full-time students entering their first year of university in an undergraduate program for the first time, provided that they have indicated their interest in residence by completing the University’s common residence application (MyRes) by March 31 at 11:59pm EST, and have received and accepted an offer of admission by June 1 at 11:59 PM EST."
To qualify for the Residence Guarantee, an applicant must meet all of the following:
- Confirm their interest in residence on MyRes by March 31, 2017
- Have received and accepted an Offer of Admission to U of T by June 1, 2017
- Save your residence rankings on MyRes within 14 days of the date on your offer of admission letter.
- Be entering their first year of university in an undergraduate program for the first time (i.e. have no previous university experience)
- Respond to all deadlines and meet all deposit requirements in order to maintain eligibility.
Interest in residence spaces from new UC students may exceed the number of spaces available. Students who are not offered residence at UC and who qualify for the housing guarantee may have their file transferred to 89 Chestnut Residence. First-year students who do not qualify for the residence guarantee should contact Housing Services at (416) 978-8045 to inquire about alternate housing.
Application Procedure Steps
- Enable your UTORid
- Indicate interest in residence on MyRes before March 31 (even if you have NOT received your Offer of Admission)
- Within 14 days of receiving your U of T Offer of Admission, return to MyRes to rank your residence choices.
- Wait for an email with further information (supplementary application, deposit payment, etc.).
Application Procedure Details
You must first enable your UTORid that was included in your acknowledgment letter. Once enabled, you can use your UTORid to logon to MyRes.
In order to be considered for a space in our residence, you must confirm your interest by completing the University’s common residence application, MyRes. In order to qualify for the Residence Guarantee, this step must be completed by March 31.
Once you have recieved your Offer of Admission to U of T, you must log back in to MyRes and rank your residence choices. In order to maintain the Residence Guarantee, this step must be completed within 14 days of receiving your offer of admission to U of T. Once you save your rankings on MyRes, we will email you further information regarding residence, including instructions to complete our supplementary residence application. If after reviewing this information, you are still interested, please submit the application package and reservation deposit by the deadline.
While priority is given to UC students, some spaces are reserved for undergraduate students in professional faculties (e.g. Engineering, Kinesiology and Physical Education, Architecture, or Music). First-year students entering a professional faculty should indicate their interest in UC residences on MyRes.
IMPORTANT: Maintaining your Residence Guarantee by saving your rankings on MyRes does NOT automatically secure you a spot in the University College residences. You are REQUIRED to submit a supplementary application and pay a deposit online by the deadline indicated on your Residence Offer. Information on how to do this will be sent to you via email only after you have completed the necessary steps on MyRes.
Typical Application Timeline
- March 31, 2017 - deadline to indicate interest in residence on MyRes (even if you have NOT recieved or accepted your Admission Offer)
- Ongoing - save your residence rankings on MyRes within 14 days of the date on your Admission Offer.
- Starting March 15 - instructions to complete the supplementary residence application will be emailed to students who have completed the two MyRes steps above
- Starting April 15 - Residence Offers will be emailed to students with instructions and deadline to pay the $600.00 residence deposit
June 1 (or later, if specified in your Residence Offer) - deadline to pay the $600.00 residence deposit to reserve your spot in residence
- Withdraw by June 30 - full deposit refund
- Withdraw by July 31 - 50% deposit refund
- Withdraw on or after August 1 - no deposit refund
- Withdraw on or after September 3 - no deposit refund plus cancellation fee equivalent to 28 days of room and board (approximately $1,600)
- Starting July 1 - building and room number assignments will be emailed to students
- August 30 - deadline to pay the first half of your Occupancy Fees
- September 3 - Move-In Day!