All residents must read, review, understand and agree to abide by the following documents:
- Residence Handbook (2017-18) - the 2018-19 Residence Handbook will be available in July.
- Occupancy Agreement and Code of Behaviour (2018-19)
Arrival & Check-In
The Check-In Dates for students for the 2018-19 academic year are as follows:
|Move-In Day||Move-In Time|
|First Year Students||Sunday, September 2, 2018||8:00 AM onwards|
|Upper Year Students||Tuesday, September 4, 2018||8:00 AM onwards|
- When you arrive, please proceed to the Porter's Desk of the residence building to which you have been assigned.
- Please bring your TCard or another piece of photo ID.
- The Porter will provide you with your room key, building key, and mailbox key.
- Students can check-in any other day or time after their designated Move-In Day and Time.
Roommate Starter Kit
If you have been assigned to a double room with a roommate, take a moment to read through the information in this Roommate Starter Kit, which you may find helpful in introducing yourself and getting to know your roommate.
If you have not done so yet, let us know whether you would like us to share your contact info with your roommate.
What's already in my room?
- Single long twin bed with mattress
- Study desk, lamp, and chair
- Chest of drawers, mirror, and bookshelf
- Overhead lighting or floor lamp
- Lounge chair (Sir Dan’s and Whitney only)
- Desk drawer (Morrison only)
- Wastebasket and recycling bin
What should I bring?
Generally, less is more!
- Bedding for a twin-XL mattress (approx. 37” x 80”)
- Sheets, blankets, pillow(s), and pillowcases
- Towels, toiletries, shower basket, and slippers
- Laundry detergent
- Your computer
- Books and items to personalize your room
- (Optional) Ethernet cable – if you want to connect to the wired network; but there is also high-speed wireless internet throughout the building
If you want to put up posters you should use poster mounts, available at the Porter’s office. If you forgot something, there are many shops within walking distance.
Cooking in rooms is not permitted as this is a fire hazard; there are shared kitchen/kitchenette facilities in all three residences. (Note: the meal plan is designed to cover all your meals.) Open hot element appliances are prohibited in residence rooms. Small fridges are permitted and can be rented from Coldex at (905) 833-0013.
Furniture is provided and residents are not permitted to remove the existing furniture and replace it with their own. Basic household items such as tools and irons are available to be signed out from the Porter's Office.
Each House has their own designated common room, where social events and house meetings are held. While common rooms vary between the three buildings, most are equipped with couches, coffee tables, and a television. Common rooms in Whitney Hall and Sir Daniel Wilson Hall have fireplaces while Morrison Hall common rooms have kitchenettes.
Designated study rooms, which have clusters of tables and chairs ideal for individual or group studying, are available in Whitney Hall and Morrison Hall.
There are small kitchens or kitchenettes in all three residences. Whitney Hall and Sir Daniel Wilson Residence have full kitchens with a stove, oven, shared fridge, sink, cupboards, etc. Morrison Hall has kitchenettes equipped with a microwave and a shared fridge to prepare snacks and light meals.
Porter's Desks are located at the main entrance to each residence. The Porters are responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operation of the residence. Porters deliver mail, issue keys, monitor building security, and deal with maintenance problems and emergencies. Their offices are open 24 hours a day during the academic year.
Each resident is provided with free, high-speed Internet access. Students have the option of connecting to the university's high-speed wireless internet network from their rooms or using a network (e.g. Ethernet) cable for a wired connection; each room is equipped with an Ethernet port. Any questions or issues related to ethernet connectivity should be directed to this email or 416-978-2530.
Telephone and Cable TV
All rooms have telephone and cable jacks. Students are required to make their own arrangements for phone and cable television service. Please note that double rooms are equipped with one telephone and one cable jack. For telephone services, contact Bell at (416) 310-2355 or Rogers at 1-877-525-4376. For cable services, contact Rogers at 1-888-764-3771.
All washrooms in UC residences are shared (usually by approximately 12 students) and are shared by students of all genders. Toilet and shower stalls are private and can be locked.
Coin-operated laundry facilities are provided in the basement of all buildings.
Parking is not available at the residences. Please visit Transportation Services to purchase a campus parking permit or view parking lot locations.