UC Books is well known for its massive annual October Book Sale at University College. But in fact, our operation runs year-round, preparing for the Book Sale, supplying the Book Shop at the College and selling valuable books through targeted direct sales.
We welcome a wide range of volunteers who can offer long-term or short-term, skilled or unskilled assistance. Whatever your interest and abilities, we have a role for you. We offer on-the-job training and supervision.
*While we are not currently looking for more volunteers, please check back here later in the summer for further details about volunteering at the Fall Sale.
- Help with room setup – organize books within the various categories (when possible, volunteers can work within topic areas of their interest)
- Price books as required during setup
- Organize sections
- During sale, work at the cash/checkout desks (training is provided for those choosing to work in this area)
- Help customers, answer questions, supervise book rooms and keep tables tidy
- After sale, help with takedown and packing books for distribution or disposal
- Help out in the cloak room and with setting out snacks
- Most roles do require some lifting, but accommodations are made for those with limitations
- We try to match volunteers to an area of their preference, but flexibility is required to ensure all tasks are complete
- Love of books and enjoyment in working with other volunteers and our customers
- Flexible and willing to work at a multitude of tasks before, during and after the sale