Who’s hungry? Your meal plan provides a convenient way to purchase a variety of delicious and healthy food and drink options at University College.
Benefits of Having a Meal Plan
- Convenient way to purchase food and beverages using your TCard;
- No need to cook, clean dishes, or worry about cash;
- Diverse variety of healthy and sustainable food choices on a rotating basis;
- Choose to eat in the dining hall and café or take your items to go;
- Save up to 13 per cent by paying no HST on most food purchases.
Types of Meal Plans
If you live in residence, choose a meal plan to use during the academic year.
There is no functional difference between meal plans A and B. Both plans allow you to purchase the same items from the dining hall and cafe. The only difference is the starting balance and corresponding meal plan fee.
Use your meal plan at these two convenient locations.
How Meal Plans Work
UC residence meal plans operate on a declining balance system, wherein your TCard acts like a debit card and your starting balance is determined by the plan you choose. After every transaction, the total cost of your purchases is deducted from your account balance.
Using Your Meal Plan
With our à la carte food system, students choose what they want to eat and pay for each individual meal. Each person pays for what they eat and light eaters do not subsidize heavy eaters. Using your UC meal plan is easy!
- Visit the dining hall/café and select the food and beverage items of your choice.
Bring your selected items to the register and display your student card (i.e., TCard) to the cashier, who will then deduct the total cost of your items from your balance. You can also pay for your guest’s meals with your plan.
(Optional) Ask for a receipt, which will have your new balance at the bottom.
We discourage removing trays, plates and cutlery from the dining hall or café and, if you do, you are responsible for returning them. Takeout containers are available for a small cost, upon request.
A note about your TCard
Your TCard (and, hence, your meal plan) can only be used by the person to whom it was issued. You are responsible for the safekeeping of your TCard and must NOT lend or permit others to use your TCard for any purpose. You cannot use your UC meal plan without your TCard -- just as you cannot get library books without your TCard.
If you lose your TCard:
- Report the loss immediately to the TCard Office, the library, and your meal plan provider(s);
- Get a temporary meal plan pass from the nearest porter's desk;
- Obtain a replacement card from the TCard Office in the Koffler Student Services Centre.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you accommodate students with specific dietary needs?
Students with specific dietary requirements as a result of allergies, food intolerances, or prescribed diets can contact UC Food Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 978-7269.
How can I provide feedback to Food Services?
UC Food Services is an independent and self-operated break-even operation, in which all employees, including the manager, are employed by University College and the University of Toronto. They are committed to providing good and healthy food at a reasonable price.
You can ask questions or provide feedback about food services at University College via the following:
- Speak to the president or food representative of your house council. They will bring your questions and feedback to the UC Residence Council food committee meetings throughout the year; or
- Email the Sous Chef of Operations directly at email@example.com.
What happens to unused UC Meal Plan dollars at the end of the academic year? Can I request a refund?
No. There will be NO REFUNDS and NO TRANSFERS of any unused UC Meal Plan dollars to any other persons, meal plans, or academic sessions.
Can I change my meal plan type?
No. Once you receive your building and room assignment and your fees are posted on ACORN, you can no longer change your meal plan type.
Can I bring my guests (friends, family members, etc.) into the dining hall or café for a meal?
Yes! Once your guests select the items they want to purchase, bring them to the cashier and present your TCard to use your meal plan. The will be deducted from your meal plan balance. You must be present for this transaction and you cannot lend your TCard to other people. Alternatively, your guests can pay for their own meals using cash, credit, debit or other accepted UeaT meal plans.