One-on-one instruction offers the best way for you to become a stronger writer. Our highly trained instructors work with you in 50-minute appointments on course assignments at any stage and in any subject. We help you develop your capacity to plan, organize, write, and revise your academic papers.
Book, Cancel or View Appointments
After you log in, select Face-to-Face to manage your one-on-one appointments.
Who Can Make an Appointment with Us and When
- All students registered at UC may use the UC Writing Centre.
- If you’re taking a college program course, you can make an appointment for work in that course.
- You may make up to one appointment a week in the fall/winter term and up to two a week in the summer.
- You may book only three future appointments at a time.
- There is no limit on the number of appointments per term.
- UC students may book up to two appointments a year for help on an application letter, admissions statement, or grant proposal.
- You may also book up to two appointments for help with U of T-related research. For example, you may bring in a paper that you will be submitting for publication as part of a summer research project.
How to Prepare for Your Appointment
- Be sure to send us your assignment sheet along with any completed work. Google Docs is the preferred method of document sharing. Share your document on the day of your appointment with email@example.com at Google Drive.
- Don't cancel your appointment just because you haven't finished a draft. Remember, we can work with you at any stage.
- If you must cancel, please do so as soon as you can to give others a chance to book an appointment.
- If you will be showing us a draft of your paper, leave some time to revise before you come in, so that we can focus on those issues you can’t easily spot yourself.
How We Help You
- We ask about your assignment and discuss your plans, helping you to understand your topic and clarify your ideas. We can help you to build an outline.
- We ask you questions. If you can articulate your ideas in speech, you'll more easily discover the right words to put on paper.
- We read your writing intensively. You can ask us to scan the whole paper or to go over one section in detail.
- We demonstrate and teach skills in revising and proofreading, but we don't go through your paper and fix the language errors for you.
- We point you to published material about writing and provide you with handouts.
The Waiting List
- If you can’t get an appointment because we’re solidly booked, don’t give up. Many students get their appointments through the waiting list.
- You may place yourself on the waiting list for as many days as you wish.
- You may request a specific time range or instructor.
- You’ll be notified by email if an appointment becomes free. Follow the link to the schedule.
- Everyone on the waiting list will be sent a notice at the same time; openings will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Be persistent. If you aren’t lucky the first time, you may be the second or third.
- We will email you if you are on the waiting list and an appointment has become available. Just call or email us back right away. If the appointment is still available, we will book it for you.
- It is best to ask us specific questions. There usually isn't enough time to cover your entire draft. Think ahead of time about what most needs attention.
- You may have a drop-in even if you have reached your limit on regular appointments, though we may give priority to students who haven't yet had any this week.
A Few Important Policies
- People who miss two appointments in the fall-winter or summer session may lose their access.
- You may book an appointment only for yourself. If you can’t attend your appointment, please don’t offer it to another student. If you come in with another student's work, the appointment will be counted as missed.
- Students who are more than 15 minutes late may lose their reservation to drop-ins.